[ale] Setting a Windows machine to a Linux Printer

Robert L Harris nomad at rocky.orci.com
Mon Dec 1 10:24:36 EST 1997

> On  1 Dec, Robert L Harris wrote:
> > Ok,
> >   My Linux box can now print to my printer haning off my other linux box.
> > Everything is working great, including the filter.  Now, how do I make
> > my local machine print to it when I'm in 95?  I can't tell winblowz to
> > find the network printer cause the print server's in Linux and 95 won't
> > recognize it.
>
> You've got two choices.  You can find unix print queue support for Win95
> (OnNet from FTP software has one that works okay), which is
> probably gonna cost you money, or you can set up samba on your linux box
> to share your printer and then access it in the normal Windows
> networking way.
>
> later,
> chris

As much as I hate to put windows stuff on my linux box, sounds like samba
might be the better way to go so I don't have to maintain the silly windows
side.  Does samba come with RedHat4.2 or do I need to go get it?

Robert

Robert L. Harris          |   If NT is the answer,
System Engineer For Hire. \_    You don't understand the question

Voice:
  (303) 971-9218
Email:
  Robert at ast.lmco.com