[ale] Linksys cards supported?

Chris Ricker gt1355b at prism.gatech.edu
Mon Dec 1 10:05:44 EST 1997

On 30 Nov, Geoffrey Myers wrote:
> I appreciate the URL, I did check out their web site, but never stumbled
> across this link.  Regarding the requirement of 2.1.15 kernel, I know there's
> the 2.1.* kernels and the 2.0.* kernels.  I know the 2.1.* kernels are move
> advanced and less tested then the 2.0.* kernels.  The question is, how do
> I map the 2.1.15 requirement to the 2.0.* kernel?  That is, do I have to be
> running a 2.1.* kernel equal to or greater than 2.1.15 or is there some way
> to determine how this maps to the 2.0.* kernels?  I'm currently running
> 2.0.32, and would think that updates made to the 2.1.15 kernel would have
> made it into the 2.0.* kernels by 2.0.32.

Some will, some will not.  However, I think the ne2k driver updates
were backported; I've got a 2.0.32 box here with an el-cheapo Taiwanese
PCI ne2k clone in it that's working great.  If not, you could always do
things the Hard Way and add the support yourself ;-).

> The busmastering issues bothers me although all I plan on doing at this point
> would be printing from one machine to the other via the network.  There also
> would be some very small Internet activity across it.  The URL you provided
> above provides a link to another page that has info on PCI NE2000 clones.  It
> starts off by saying, don't buy them and that they really eat up CPU when
> transfering at full speed.  Me thinks I need to look at some other cards....

Hmm.  In the already-mentioned 2.0.32 box, I have the pci ne2k junk
card and a 3com 509.  The pci card seems to use much less cpu....

later,
chris

Chris Ricker                                 gt1355b at prism.gatech.edu