[ale] succesful laptop install

Tucker Balch tucker at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Oct 29 20:21:21 EST 1996

I just finished a successful install of RedHat 4.0 on a Toshiba laptop.

I initially had a problem with the install program not seeing the CD ROM.
I asked the trusty ale crowd for help.  Thanks to everyone who replied.
It turned out my problem was the CD ROM drive itself.  When I swapped in
another, it was immediately visible.

After that the only real hitch was X (big surprise).  Basically I had
no idea what to tell the configuration program about my graphics board
or the mouse.  Eventually I tracked down the answers on the linux
laptop web page.

Metro-X runs fine, I was unable to get XFree to go.

LILO worked OK, I'm not sure what the problem was for Vernard.  Must
have to do with the fact he was upgrading rather than installing.

Overall I'd have to give RH 4.0 a thumbs-up.

Motif is next......

--Tucker