[ale] RE: linux

George A. Nies gt0543b at prism.gatech.edu
Fri Oct 25 12:26:52 EDT 1996

Forwarded message:
> I am about to give up on linux, having loved it for 2 years. I
> ftped slackware from gatech two years ago and installed it on my
> laptop without a hitch. This time I bought Turbo linux from Pacific
> Hi Tech on cdrom to install on my new Aptiva. X windows does not work
> and after many hours I find I need a beta version 3.1.2G of X.

[ snip]

I have heard of these type of problems from what I like to call
vanity vendors.  They don't really understand what they are selling, but
they know they can make a quick buck.

XFree86 is just now gaining the support of most video card manufactures,
Support for Diamond cards is only since 3.1.2.

> Can someone tell me what I should do to get printer support
> and man pages for printcap and lpr and whatever I need?

lpr and it's associated files are in the tcpip package of slackware.

Linux is well on the road to universal useability, but it still helps to
have unix experience before you try to take the leap.

> Windows 3.1 and Windows95 even more.  We should do better.

I couldn't agree with you more.

	-George