[ale] programming: files and such

charlie charlie at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Oct 24 15:57:08 EDT 1996

	I'm working with sockets and multiple clients, and I'm trying to
use select to handle the multiple clients.  HOwever, I need to know how
many bytes to read from socket prior to reading or else I'll block forever.
I'm trying to use ioctl function call to check how many bytes are presently
on the socket, but it doesn't work.  The ioctl function always returns zero
even though clients are currently waiting for the connection.  I can't
seem to find ANY info at all on the ioctl function call.  Usually they
mumble about tapes and say see also fioctl.  Got any ideas?

thanks
charlie

							        Charles Hubbard
	   		 	          Internet: charlie at felix.cc.gatech.edu
 ". . .the pope talks a lot about sex, of which he knows nothing. . ."
	- Robert Anton Wilson