(no subject)

Matthew Avery matthew at nas.nasa.gov
Tue Oct 8 07:35:37 EDT 1996

> I'm trying to set up a nameserver for our company.  I read the
> NAG and set up all the input files for named.  The server appears
> to be responding correctly to queries from a test machine, however,
> nslookup from the test machine doesn't produce any IP addresses.
> If I run nslookup from the nameserver itself it provides IP addresses
> for hostnames but if I run nslookup from another machine I get :

> nslookup - [nameserver]
> *** Can't find server name for address [nameserver]: No response from server
> *** Default servers are not available

}Here are a few simple ideas (I'm not an expert in this).  First verify
}that /etc/resolv.conf looks something like:
}
}	nameserver 204.180.128.4
}
}(The word "nameserver" should be there.  Put your nameserver's IP address
}in.)

}Second, have you successfully PINGed to the nameserver specifying its
}numeric IP address via:
}
}	ping 204.180.128.4
}

> Keep in mind that the nameserver appears to be answering queries from
> this machine correctly.  Ok, enlighten me.  By the way, thank you to
> all who answered my previous (silly) question about the 'top' command
> with a straight face :).

> -Matt-

> Matt Avery
> ASE Technologies

And new stuff from me:

Yes on both counts; resolv.conf is set up as suggested above
and I can ping the nameserver from any other machine I can
get to.  I still think we can figure this out. Thanks in advance.

-Matt-