[ale] Mail forwarding problem

Andrew Newton lfs at eskimo.com
Wed Oct 2 08:54:49 EDT 1996

aesop wrote:

> Not really problem with forwarding, just the side effect...
>
> At work, I am running Linux and forwarding my mail from the mail server
> to my machine.  Mail arrives fine.  The problem is the return mail header
> is expanded to my full name instead of just the domain name.  So, when I
> reply to a mail message, I must edit the replay header and remove my
> local machine name from it.  (Otherwise, the To: becomes
> person at machine.domain and bounces on my machine).
>
> I am using a Smart Relay entry in my sendmail.cf.  I've also tried site
> hiding, but realize this may be going about the problem the wrong way.
>
> I suppose I could just start using popclient, but I figure someone may
> have run into this before.

I suppose the problem could be fixed by some magical means using the sendmail.cf
file, but I don't know how to do it.

I've fixed this problem using the Mail User Agent, specifically Netscape and Elm.
In Netscape its easy.  In Elm, you must put the line "Reply-To: bob at bob.com" in
the elmheaders file in the .elm directory.  If the file doesn't exist, create it.
Don't have any blank lines in it either.

Andrew Newton
Andrew.Newton at automatedlogic.com
lfs at eskimo.com
Andrew Newton