[ale] My modem is ignoring me

James W. Lynch jwl at atlanta.cray.com
Wed May 29 13:05:30 EDT 1996

---------  Received message begins Here  ---------

> From ale-owner at cc.gatech.edu Wed May 29 11:33 EDT 1996
> Date: Wed, 29 May 1996 11:19:39 -0400
> From: Joe Bayes <jbayes at cs.oberlin.edu>
> To: ale at cc.gatech.edu
> Subject: [ale] My modem is ignoring me
>

> I feel so shunned.
>
> I hooked my modem up to my serial port, and double checked to make
> sure I was using the serial port and not the parallel port (male
> db25). I turned my modem on, fired up Kermit, double checked that my
> device was set correctly, set my speed, then hit "c".
>
> Whatever I typed after this point, not only did my modem not receive
> it, but the keystrokes didn't even echo on the screen. The
> Serial-HOWTO said nothing about this problem, and a week on and off of
> fiddling  with it produced no results.
>
> Please, please tell me what I can do to get my modem to start talking
> to me again. I feel so lost, so...disconnected...without it.
>
> --joe
Joe,

Are you sure you have tried the following?
<return>AT<return>

Are you sure you are using the right device?

Are you sure you know at what speed the modem is talking to you?

What did your set line and set speed commands look like?

Jim.

Jim Lynch, Sales Analyst,  Cray Research, Inc. / ARS: K4GVO
Southeast District, Phone: (770) 631-2254, Email: jwl at cray.com
Suite 270, 200 Westpark Drive, Peachtree City, GA 30269