[ale] pre2.0.7 problems

Unix Guru Dude geof at denali.is.net
Mon May 27 13:38:37 EDT 1996

}Unix Guru Dude mumbled incoherently:

How true...

}>
}> Well, I'm still having a few problems with my new pre2.0.7 kernel.  I get the
}> following messages in dmesg for PPP:
}>
}> PPP: version 2.2.0 (dynamic channel allocation)
}> PPP Dynamic channel allocation code copyright 1995 Caldera, Inc.
}> PPP line discipline registered.
}>
}> But when I try and fire up my network, I get a message saying PPP is not
}> available in this system.
}
}You were using the old version of PPP in the old kernel (2.1.2)... the pppd
}that was compiled and came preinstalled with the old distributions/etc. is
}not functional and/or compatible with 2.2.0.  You need to fetch ppp-2.2.0f
}from somewhere (ftp.cc.gatech.edu, /pub/linux/Network/serial/ppp) and then
}compile it... that will make everything 'go' as far as PPP is concerned :)

Will do, thanks...

}
}As a side note, ppp-2.2.0f has ALL those nasty sys/bitypes.h bugs fixed
}that I ran into some time ago with 2.2.0e... it compiled and executed 'out
}of the box' as it were.
}
}> I also get some wierd messages about flock() as follows:
}>
}> fcntl_setlk() called by process 47 (lpd) with broken flock() emulation
}> fcntl_setlk() called by process 49 (lpd) with broken flock() emulation
}> fcntl_setlk() called by process 50 (lpd) with broken flock() emulation
}
}I get these too.  Somewhere I read that the old libc's don't have a working
}flock(), but I upgraded the libc stuff and that didn't seem to fix it.  I'm
}trying to track down exactly WHERE the detailed information is, but not
}having a whole lot of luck yet :I  If I find it, I'll toss the info out
}here.

Yeah, I read that was supposed to fix it too, and it didn't.  If I figure it
out, I'll do the same...

}
}> And finally, my sound doesn't work properly.  If I cat a au file to /dev/audio,
}> it will play the first part of it then stop.  Further attempts yield an I/O
}> error message.
}
}Beats me.  I didn't compile with sound, just to make sure I got a working
}kernel :)

What's wrong with you?  You had all the other answers... :)  Thanks again.

}--
}   finger for PGP key -*- lorimer at alliance.net -*- Vote Brain/Pinky in '96!
}     Key fingerprint =  D1 6E A2 69 CF 60 C6 90  3D 34 BE 05 87 B8 12 C8
}          "I toasted the enemy, cursed the flag, saluted the glass
}           and dashed the King in the fireplace."  - Sir Rodney

--
Until later:
Geoffrey Myers   geof at denali.is.net   Unix.Guru.Dude at worldnet.att.net
	http://www.ticllc.net/~geof  or http://denali.is.net/~geof

	Opinions expressed by me are mine, all mine, only mine.....