[ale] pre2.0.7 problems

Derek S. Ray lorimer at alliance.net
Mon May 27 10:30:06 EDT 1996

Unix Guru Dude mumbled incoherently:

> Well, I'm still having a few problems with my new pre2.0.7 kernel.  I get the
> following messages in dmesg for PPP:
>
> PPP: version 2.2.0 (dynamic channel allocation)
> PPP Dynamic channel allocation code copyright 1995 Caldera, Inc.
> PPP line discipline registered.
>
> But when I try and fire up my network, I get a message saying PPP is not
> available in this system.

You were using the old version of PPP in the old kernel (2.1.2)... the pppd
that was compiled and came preinstalled with the old distributions/etc. is
not functional and/or compatible with 2.2.0.  You need to fetch ppp-2.2.0f
from somewhere (ftp.cc.gatech.edu, /pub/linux/Network/serial/ppp) and then
compile it... that will make everything 'go' as far as PPP is concerned :)

As a side note, ppp-2.2.0f has ALL those nasty sys/bitypes.h bugs fixed
that I ran into some time ago with 2.2.0e... it compiled and executed 'out
of the box' as it were.

> I also get some wierd messages about flock() as follows:
>
> fcntl_setlk() called by process 47 (lpd) with broken flock() emulation
> fcntl_setlk() called by process 49 (lpd) with broken flock() emulation
> fcntl_setlk() called by process 50 (lpd) with broken flock() emulation

I get these too.  Somewhere I read that the old libc's don't have a working
flock(), but I upgraded the libc stuff and that didn't seem to fix it.  I'm
trying to track down exactly WHERE the detailed information is, but not
having a whole lot of luck yet :I  If I find it, I'll toss the info out
here.

> And finally, my sound doesn't work properly.  If I cat a au file to /dev/audio,
> it will play the first part of it then stop.  Further attempts yield an I/O
> error message.

Beats me.  I didn't compile with sound, just to make sure I got a working
kernel :)

--
   finger for PGP key -*- lorimer at alliance.net -*- Vote Brain/Pinky in '96!
     Key fingerprint =  D1 6E A2 69 CF 60 C6 90  3D 34 BE 05 87 B8 12 C8