[ale] Java tutorial

David Flanagan david at ora.com
Tue May 21 10:38:16 EDT 1996

Hi,

I'm David Flanagan, fellow Linux Enthusiast, and author of the
bestselling book _Java in a Nutshell_ from O'Reilly & Associates.

I'll be giving a tutorial on Java on 6/14 in Charleston, SC, and I
thought that some of you might be interested.

I've attached the tutorial announcement, and full details are at:

	http://jasper.ora.com/david/tutorial.html

Please feel free to pass this on to anyone who may be interested in
learning Java.

	David Flanagan
			      A dry-run of
 			  JAVA IN A DEMITASSE
			a full-day Java tutorial

			   by David Flanagan
		     author of _Java in a Nutshell_

			Friday, June 14th, 1996
			     Charleston, SC

	       http://jasper.ora.com/david/tutorial.html

Java in a Demitasse is a full-day Java tutorial for beginning Java
programmers and C or C++ programmers who want to learn Java.

This tutorial does not attempt to cover every detail of Java
programming, (which would require a much longer Java programming
course), but instead aims to enable Java programmers in two ways:

    1) It gets participants over the biggest first hurdle of the
       learning curve by teaching them how to write simple applets
       and applications.

    2) It presents the "big picture" of Java, so that participants
       understand the current and upcoming class libraries, and so
       they know what they still need to learn, and how to go about
       learning it.

Advanced material to be covered includes Java 1.1 and communication
between Java and JavaScript with Netscape Navigator 3.0

June 14th is the first time this tutorial will be given.  This tutorial
date will serve as my dry-run in preparation for a lecture tour of
Australia.  Because this is a dry-run, the fees for the June 14th date
have been cut by over 50%.  Attendees can expect the content of the
tutorial to be professional, competent, and knowledgeable, but should be
aware that the *presentation* of that content will probably not yet be
as smooth or polished as I'd like it to be.

Charleston, SC is a beautiful and historic city, with a distinctly
European feel.  It is known for its architecture, gardens, beaches and
golf.  I recommend a weekend stay after the Friday tutorial.

Full information and registration instructions for the tutorial can be
found at:

	http://jasper.ora.com/david/tutorial.html

Please feel free to redistribute this announcement in other forums.

	David Flanagan		Author of _Java in a Nutshell_
	david at ora.com		http://www.ora.com/catalog/books/javanut