[ale] re: pre2 compile

Unix Guru Dude geof at denali.is.net
Mon May 20 22:42:47 EDT 1996

}> }Okay.  What those maligns and such are is the pentium "optimization"
}> }(makes the kernel a little leaner and meaner on a pentium by aligning
}> }code at page boundaries and such).  I'm not certain, but I think you
}> }might have to use gcc-2.7.2 to be able to do them (I don't think 2.6.3
}> }supports some of them).  Unless you're running Red Hat, a gcc upgrade is
}> }going to take you a while.  In the mean time, try compiling the kernel
}> }for a 386 or 486 and see if it's successful.
}> }
}>
}> This seems to be working.  Compile has been going for a while now.  Before,
}> it would die after a few seconds.  So I need to upgrade gcc to get the
}> pentium optimization?  Thanks, I'll post a final completion note to the list.
}>
}
}I'm not certain about that, but I believe that you have to have gcc-2.7.2
}to do the -maligns that the optimizations do (btw, on a pentium, -m386 is
}faster than -m486, so until you upgrade gcc, it shouldn't be much worse
}than -m586).  When you post, you could find out if anyone has compiled
}recent kernels on a pentium, for a pentium, using 2.6.3.
}
}good luck with the gcc upgrade, ;-)
}chris

Well I have successfully created a bootable pre2.0.5 floppy.  Thanks for
the help.  Next is to upgrade gcc so I can take advantage of the pentium
optimization.

--
Until later:
Geoffrey Myers   geof at denali.is.net   Unix.Guru.Dude at worldnet.att.net
	http://www.ticllc.net/~geof  or http://denali.is.net/~geof

	Opinions expressed by me are mine, all mine, only mine.....