[ale] Digital TV...

Unix Guru Dude geof at denali.is.net
Fri May 10 23:44:02 EDT 1996

}Unix Guru Dude wrote:
}>
}> }Geoffrey Myers wrote:
}> }>

FYI, the above are one and the same...  Probably get flamed for continuing
this non-list topic, but....

# STUFF DELETED

}> When you say 'interactive digital television,' do you mean a digital signal
}> that is translated to an analog television?  Or do you mean you folks
}> actually have digital televisions in customer homes?  The excerpt above
}> refers to the latter, a whole new technology in televisions....
}
}We are running Digital Signal over an analog carrier to a cable box that
}will translate on the fly.  Excrutiatingly good quality without having
}to go and buy a new television. Plus ours is interactive with the system.
}Order movies while you watch, WHEN you want to.  No waiting on Pay-per-view.
}No returning the friggin tape by midnight the following day and no late charges.

That doesn't make a lot of sense to me.  How do you send a digital signal
over an analog line?  If it is truly then converted to analog on the fly,
what have you gained?  I don't get it, sounds like a lot of sales talk to me.
It's like saying you get cd quality from an analog tape when you copy a cd
to tape...  I'd like to understand how this is done and why, if this works,
other companies are going to the pains of creating a digital TV.

}
}It's really sweet.
}>
}-----------------------------------------------------------------------
}
}Robert L. Harris
}FSN System Administrator, Time Warner Cable.
}e-mail: Robert.Harris at twcable.com
}        nomad at netwide.net
}
}###################################################
}# Un*x FOREVER         # These are my thoughts    #
}#                      #  and only my thoughts.   #
}# Never Play LeapFrog  #  Any resembleance to     #
}#  With a Unicorn!     #  anyone else's thoughts  #
}#                      #  is either coincidence,  #
}#                      #  or they stole them      #
}#                      #  from me.                #
}
}

--
Until later:
Geoffrey Myers   geof at denali.is.net   Unix.Guru.Dude at worldnet.att.net
	http://www.ticllc.net/~geof  or http://denali.is.net/~geof

	Opinions expressed by me are mine, all mine, only mine.....