[ale] printcap problem using if: rm:

brian goldin @ 2478 [ESRI-Redlands] bgoldin at esri.com
Fri May 10 19:13:24 EDT 1996

please help me find a solution/workaround...

I am curerntly setting up a printing/accounting system at my company.
I have several hp inkjet plotters that are utilizing a Twisted Pair
network connection.  All network clients send printing requests to
a single workstation, and this workstaion sends jobs to the plotter.
The linux "print server"  machine has a printcap entry similar to the
following:

# HP 750C                               (East Wing of Bldg. A)
jet1:\
        :lp=:rm=jet1:rp=raw:sd=/var/spool/jet1:mx#0:
#

now, how can I utilize a if: to capture accounting information while sending
to a rm: ?   I seem to remember, in an old edition of the Printing-HOWTO that
this was said to be possible.  I have tried several tests and am having
difficulty finding a solution..   I am currently running a 1.2.13 kernal from
a slackware 3.0 distribution.

my lpd kernel has the following date associated with it.

	-rwxr--r--   1 root     lp          41705 Aug  6  1995 lpd

I am not having any problems writing the filter it's self, but am finding
difficulty in having my linux machine run the if: before it sends the
data to the remote machine.

Please forward any ideas/solutions that you may have.  I have read every
faq, sys-adm book, and man page possible and am getting somewhat desperate.

thank you in advance,

brian goldin

bgoldin at esri.com
Environmental Systems Research Institute
909-793-2853 x2478