[ale] ftp directory permissions

Chris Farris chris at ravenloft.stucen.gatech.edu
Sat May 4 22:39:31 EDT 1996

go to: http://www.iss.net/sec_info
Look at the anon_ftp setup FAQ.

> I've read a few places that the best way to set up the 'incoming'
> directory under ftp is to set the permissions on the incoming directory
> to 773, and then create directories under the incoming with 777.  Then

No. 773 will also let them write. A warez Kidde will go into that dir
and make a new dir he knows the name of, Dump MS Win-95 in it, and tell
all his friends. You want it 771 (world execute only).

> change to the directory and write to it.  Now, what actually happens is,
> I can get to the directory under incoming, but I get permission denied
> when I attempt to drop a file there.  Now if I just change to that
> directory while logged into my box, I can write to the directory as I
> would expect.
look at the following file:
/etc/ftpaccess  I belive all the answers are in there.

> Anyone running an ftp server and tried to set it up this way?
Yup. Don't remember how I fixed it. The answer is behind a Firewall
right now.

Chris

--
Chris Farris: Email:	chrisf at cc.gatech.edu	Home: (404)607-7747
The Internet is such a waste of Bandwidth.	-Lord Soth

                                     //\
                                    // \\
                                    \\ //
                                     \//
                                     //\\
                                    //  \\
                                   //    \\
                              *Free speech online*
The most obscene thing on the internet is the Kristian Kolition.