[ale] metamail?

Steven A. DuChene sad at sduchene.mindspring.com
Sat Mar 30 09:01:43 EST 1996

> Metamail is part of the Andrew User Environment from Carnegie-Mellon. It
> works a lot like .mailcap and tells your mail reader what program to
> start when it finds an attachment.

	Unfortunately Metamail is not part of the Andrew User Interface
	System. It is a set of programs made available by Nathaniel S.
	Borenstein <nsb at bellcore.com> Member of Technical Staff, Bellcore
	and copyrighted by Bell Communications Research but made freely
	available. It is available from ftp.bellcore.com in the /pub/nsb
	directory as mm2.7.tar.Z and contrib2.7.tar.Z  There is quite a
	bit of documentation on the MIME standard there also.

	I compiled and installed all of this on my system with no problems.
	It sounds like your mailreader will use this if you do the same
	since it was already looking for it as indicated by the error message
	you included in your text. If not you may have to recompile your
	mail reader to handle calling the Metamail programs.

--
Steven A. DuChene       Linux Weenie!    http://www.ysu.edu/~sduchene

Those who are mentally and emotionally healthy are those who have
learned when to say yes, when to say no and when to say whoopee.
                -- W.S. Krabill