[ale] Future Meetings

R I Feigenblatt docdtv at tiger.avana.net
Thu Mar 28 16:10:42 EST 1996

>Marc A. Torres writes:
>>	When does the campus lock-down take place?
>The campus is closed from July 1 - Aug 10.  That knocks out the July
>and August meeting...
>>	And, are we going to schedule meetings during the
>>	era of the olympic village elsewhere?
>I think that's a good idea.
>Greg

Perhaps ALE might consider a rented conference facility.
The Jaye Presentation Center near the I-75/I-285 intersection
quotes a rate of $160 for a half-day, which is what they said
would be required for the typical evening use which a certain
anonymous GA Tech-based technology interest group would consume.

This includes 60-person classroom seating, A/V facilities, and
free parking. You can see more details in the ad on page 17 of
the March "Atlanta Computer Currents".

If 50 or 60 folks would still attend given the location and
non-zero door charge, the cost could be covered for about
$3 a head. (I have not called any hotels to see what their
prices would be for similar facilities.) Perhaps one could
ask folks to send in checks for $5 with an SASE: if the
$160 threshold was not met, the check could be returned or
destroyed as each writer requested; else he could be mailed
a ticket. Fees collected in excess of that required for the
$160 charge could be refunded to the nearest dollar per head
when tickets were taken at the door; and/or part of it could
be retained as working capital for future meetings.

Ron

P.S. Even if paying for meeting space is out, at least it gives
one an appreciation for the kindness the taxpayers of Georgia
and tuition-payers at Tech afford us each month! :-)