[ale] Chip upgrades and making them work

Mark J. Reed mark.reed at sware.com
Mon Mar 25 13:52:02 EST 1996

"Dan Newcombe" <newcombe at aa.csc.peachnet.edu> writes:
\ You would DEFINITELY need to buy a new motherboard.  this is like
trying  \ to fit a V12 in a Ford Escort!!!  you can get a board for the
486DX2/66  \ for under $100.  I would not go PCI with a 486, unless you
wanna get  \ some PCI cards, and in the future move to a PCI/Pentium
motherboard.   \ The nice thing about VLB is you can put old ISA cards
in it...not so  \ with PCI.
It's true that you can put an ISA board in a VESA slot, and not in a
PCI slot.  However, most of the PCI motherboards I've seen have ISA
slots, too, so you don't have to get all new boards.

--
Mark J. Reed
Email: mark.reed at sware.com - Voice: +1 404 315 6296 x158 - Fax: +1 404 315 6407