[ale] Chip upgrades and making them work

Wes McRae beetle at glc97.residence.gatech.edu
Mon Mar 25 12:49:05 EST 1996

2 stupid generic novice questions and then the Linux bit:

First:  in upgrading just a chip (say 386 --> 486), does the motherboard
impose a restriction on . . . correction, *how much* of a restriction does
the motherboard place on the upgrade.  E.g., is the upgrade restricted to
the same clock speed as the original chip?

Second:  in upgrading the motherboard and chip, what restrictions should
I expect from the rest of the system?  I know, for example, that my 30 pin
SIMMs would not be kosher in current motherboards which use 72 pin, so all
of my RAM would have to be replace with the board.  Likewise, would I need
a new power supply to supply 3.3 volts instead of 5 volts, or is there a
transformer somewhere on the board itself to make that switch?

[yes, I know they're basic:  please forgive, as I'm weak on hardware and
don't know where else to ask]

And finally, the Linux bit:  given a upgrade (of either of the above
formats) what would I need to do to kmake Linux recognize and use the new
stuff?  I can assume that if I got a PCI motherboard I would have to
compile in the PCI_BIOS portion in the kernel, but what else?  Would
everything just be recognized on the fly and all be light and happiness?

I'm currently running a 386sx/20, and have an option on a 486DX2/66 from
a friend.  My mouth is watering, but I don't believe that I could just
install the new chip and go.  Figured I'd make sure, though:  I'd hate
to pass up a good deal on my own faulty knowledge.

bye----
wes