[ale] ghostview

William Mahavier wsm at mathcs.emory.edu
Thu Mar 21 10:20:33 EST 1996

To: wsm at mathcs.emory.edu

>Maybe your kernel is a.out, and cannot run elf.

Thanks. I posted this earlier today but our machine hung and
apparently it didn't get posted.

Er...Uhhhh...I guess the thing to do is bite the bullet :-( and
admit that I ran file on my version of ghostview, saw the ELF
executable and ignored it. I should have ftped to gatech, as I
have now done and gotten the ELF-HOWTO. Then I would have understood
my problem.

I did get a copy of ghostview from slackware 2.? from a
friend's machine and replaced my ELF ghostview. It ran, and gave me
a window but did not process the file. Before pleading for help again
I will look into the error carefully. I suspect I need something else
from a 2.0 xapps disc.

Many thanks for all the patience and help provided for a novice,
especially from Dan, John, Eric, Vernard. The generous response
of the group convinced me that I should RTFM even more and attend
the meetings. I long for the time when I can help someone.