[ale] UARTs

Matt McMillin imnlfn at atlanta.com
Mon Mar 18 13:58:07 EST 1996

FYI (Fer Y'All's Information),

There are at least a couple of companies that make interface cards with one
or more serial ports on them that each operate at 230Kbps, rather than
115Kbps.  The Hayes ESP (Enhanced Serial Port) is probably the best known
of these, and has been around considerably longer than any of the others I've
seen since it came out (within the last couple of years).  Last thing I read about
these cards was that Hayes was having extreme difficulty meeting the demand
for them.  I don't know how much they usually cost, but knowing Hayes, it's
probably too much.

Digi International, the makers of DigiBoards, also sells single and double port
boards that run at 230Kbps.  They, of course, also sell boards with many more
ports that all run at 230Kbps, but those would be inappropriate for most people
reading this posting, I imagine.  Unfortunately, I'm not sure what the Digi
products cost, either.

Finally, I have sitting in front of me a catalog from Global, a mail-order place.
They have listed a "ultra-speed serial I/O board."  According to the listing, it
uses not a 16550 UART, but a 16650 UART.  (I suspect that _this_ is the
fastest one currently available.  What Hayes uses in their design is a 16550
with a 1M buffer, which is much larger than usual.  And, by the way, it turns
out that Global sells the ESP, too, at $79.95.)  They're selling the "ultra" board
for $49.95.  It has one port on it, with a DB-9 connector.  If anyone's interested,
Global's number is, amazingly enough, 1-800-8GLOBAL.

I have absolutely no idea whether Linux supports any of these boards.  I would
hope that one could use an arbitrarily high throughput rate with one's serial
interfaces, but perhaps the Linux kernel must have the supporting code in it to
do so.  I'd be interested to know what the answer to this question is.

Obviously, perhaps the most appropriate application of one such interface card
would be to use it with an ISDN terminal adapter (with NT-1), such as the
Motorola BitSURFR (known to many as the "BitSufferer").  With two 64K
channels bonded together, the throughput of the line exceeds the 115Kbps
limit of the standard 16550 UART, so the terminal adapter actually must slow
to that speed.

INFO WEEK every so often, there are also companies that build serial interface
cards that have throughputs even _higher_ than 230Kbps, using some sort
of coprocessor, microcontroller, or customized ASIC chip to handle the flow of
data.  I hope no one asks me about these boards, as I don't know one damn
thing more about them than that they exist.

Also, to confirm what someone said about ISDN devices that use Ethernet
connections instead of a serial port, they do exist.  They're called ISDN routers
and usually start at over $1000.  Some may not include an NT-1 either, which
would be an added expense.

Finally, considering the fact that companies such as Media One are going to
be offering high-speed (probably 10Mbps -- at least unidirectionally) Internet
access by the end of this year, one might want to give it serious thought
before they invest at least $200 for an ISDN adapter, perhaps $200 for
installation of the ISDN line, then $60 a month for ISDN service.  I thought
about it and decided that getting two more phone lines and 64Kbps service
for $60 a month wasn't better than paying less than $15 a month for 26400bps
(on average) on an analog line that I hardly ever use.  (And I would have still
bought my modem, just in case I wanted to dial a BBS.)

-M