[ale] ftape continues

Unix Guru Dude geof at denali.is.net
Sun Mar 17 14:56:00 EST 1996

I was told by someone I thought knew what they were talking about that I
could use a QIC-80 tape in a QIC-40 tape drive.  Can someone either confirm
or deny this for me?  I had an old QIC-80 tape lying around and have been
using it to test my QIC-40 tape drive and ftape.

By the way, I finally got insmod to load ftape.o without any errors.  It
appears you must patch the 1.2.13 kernel before compiling and installing
ftape.  After I did this, ftape loaded with no errors.  I'm still having
problems though.  When I execute 'mt -f /dev/rft1 rewind' it appears to
attempt the rewind in that the led lights and the drive makes a bunch o'
noise and the tape is spinning.  Problem is, I always get a '/dev/rft1: I/O
error' message.  The tape is writable, so I'm not sure what's going on, other
than the possibility that I have the wrong tape as indicated above.

--
Until later:
Geoffrey Myers   geof at denali.is.net   eiger at ichange.com   gamyers at attmail.com

	Opinions expressed by me are mine, all mine, only mine.....