[ale] new PC upgrade

Vernard Martin vernard at cc.gatech.edu
Sat Mar 16 00:31:50 EST 1996

Well, I just finished upgrading my PC's motherboard from a 486DX33 (running
at 25Mhz due to an old crystal) to an AMD 5x86-P75 (its a 133Mhz 486, 33
Mhz external, quadruple that internal. So far it feels really swift.

Any ideas where I can get some public domain benchmark programss to test my
speed rating. I want to make sure that I've got it configured to give me
the speed that I'm supposed to get. I've heard so many horror stories about
folks that misconfigure and end up getting half the speed they are supposed
to get that I am more than a little paranoid. I can even take dos programs.

Any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

p.s. I am a very happy man. Now all I need to do is recompile the kernel to
include Adaptec 2940 support so I can swap out my Adaptec 1520 scsi card.
I'm hoping that will drastically increase my scsi hard disk transfer rate.

--
Vernard Martin
(vernard.martin at cc.gatech.edu) http://www.cc.gatech.edu/people/home/vernard/