[ale] ISDN???

Unix Guru Dude geof at denali.is.net
Fri Mar 15 21:27:13 EST 1996

}
}> You need to decide whether you want an internal or external AT.  If you get
}> an internal, you have no phone service if you computer is down or off.  If
}> you get an external, your serial port must have the latest greatest UART chip
}> that will give you the best throughput.
}
}The serial port on what device?

On your box.  Cua0, cua1,,, whatever.  Older UART chips have slower baud
rates.  Execute setserial -a /dev/???? where ???? is your serial port.  It
will tell you the UART chip and the baud base.  What you hope to see is
something like this:

/dev/cua2, Line 2, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x03e8, IRQ: 4
	Baud_base: 115200, close_delay: 50, divisor: 0
	Flags: spd_normal skip_test

I believe the 16550A is the fastest UART available, you will also see that
it has a max baud rate of 115200, which will handle ISDN nicely.

}
}> You can get something like the Bitserfer from Motorola which has a POT (plain
}> old Telephone) port on the back and connect your Plain old Telephone to it.
}> The TA (Terminal Adaptor) does the analog to digital conversion.  You can
}> get the Bitserfer pro from Motorola which has two POTs and have two
}> anolog lines.
}
}What's the cost on these?

I just saw a Bitsurfer for $266 and a Bitsurfer Pro for $300.  The main
difference between the two is that the Bitsurfer has one "POT" and the Pro
has two.  I believe I've seen the Bitsurfer priced closer to $200 though
I can't put my finger on it right now.

}
}Thanks!
}
}Arnold
}
}

--
Until later:
Geoffrey Myers   geof at denali.is.net   eiger at ichange.com   gamyers at attmail.com

	Opinions expressed by me are mine, all mine, only mine.....