[ale] ISDN???

Steven A. Duchene sad at hpuerca.atl.hp.com
Fri Mar 15 10:49:46 EST 1996

> One other thing.  You must realize that you will more than likely have to
> rewire some portion of your house, because phone lines are generally daisy
> chained together in your house.  If you get ISDN, you will have to have
> your main line go directly to where ever your TA (terminal adaptor) is.
> Then any other phone connected in your house would have to come from either
> the terminal adaptor or another line that is connected to the terminal
> adaptor.

	As I understand it from reading the ISDN For Dummies book
	ISDN needs things connected in parallel rather than serial
	like most residential phone lines are done now.

	I.E.  Like	^   instead of        -P--P--P-
		       / \
		      |   |
		      P   P

> You need to decide whether you want an internal or external AT.  If you get
> an internal, you have no phone service if you computer is down or off.  If
> you get an external, your serial port must have the latest greatest UART chip
> that will give you the best throughput.  The guy I talked to at Bell South
> says that there is some software that you can get that will enhance your
> throughput even more.  He also said that Bell South has done 1000s of ISDN
> configurations via Motorola Bitserfers...

	Again from reading the same book I understand there are other types
	of ISDN devices that let you connect your computer to the device
	via a ethernet connection instead of a serial line. This would
	seem to be the better solution since all that would be needed in
	the computer would be a NIC and that would eliminate any concerns
	about whether your UARTS were up to snuff. I am not sure what these
	types of devices are called but most of the inexpensive ISDN equipment
	is the serial type so this might be something to watch out for.

--
Steve DuChene              sad at hpuerca.atl.hp.com               1-800-633-3600

	       The HP North American Response Center, Atlanta
		   X/Vue/xterminal/graphics support team
    		    I am an employee of Hewlett-Packard.