[ale] ISDN???

David C. Snyder dsnyder at mindspring.com
Fri Mar 15 02:26:34 EST 1996

Hello,

At the ALE meeting last night, someone mentioned that BellSouth is having
somekind of sale on ISDN.  I have a few questions that I'm sure others
must have too.

  1. If I have only ISDN into my house, do I have to replace all of my
     existing telephones and answering machine?  I have four telephones now
     and wonder what the cost will be for four new "digital" phones.  Are
     we talking $1000+?

  2. After I'm hooked up and I've bought my ISDN terminal adapter or ISDN
     modem, my four ISDN phones, and my ISDN answering machine, can I
     still dial into my office, which only has analog modems connected to a
     tradational phone line?  Will this connection likely be better, worse,
     or about the same as what I'm used to?

  3. If I want to dial-up my PC at home from work (which again does not have
     ISDN), will I be able to do that if I only have ISDN at home?

  4. Does MindSpring's ISDN use data compression, or am I limited to just
     64 kbps?  (I could probably check their web page...)

-- David
   dsnyder at mindspring.com