[ale] Time to upgrade...

Michael H. Warfield mhw at wittsend.com
Thu Mar 14 12:34:45 EST 1996

Michael J. Callahan enscribed thusly:

> I have Linux Slackware version from early 95 CD (3 CD set-thats how
> old) on my Dell notebook. Ethernet PCMCIA card, networking config,
> X runs fine, etc... Have just been building new kernels  and updated
> a few other components in all that time.

> Now I want to go ELF, because it is the way to go and I want to run
> JAVA environment. I also want to get up to  a newer release of g++,
> only on 2.5.8 now (don't laugh!).

> So what is the current version of InfoMagic date, anyone knoow what
> the compiler version is on it and does it have a good ELF slackware
> set? Is JAVA on it?

	According to the InfoMagic Web site (www.infomagic.com), the
latest Linux Developer Resource CD Rom set is still the November 95
release (5 CD Set).  That contains Slackware 3.0 ELF distribution.
It has a few hickups but otherwise installs and runs fine.  Couple
of library quirks, especially if you need to link anything static.
The secure shell "ssh" package complains about a libg -> libc symbolic
link problem.  Had to copy some of the libraries from the live file
system to correct for loader problems.  The gcc compiler is version 2.7.0.

	JAVA?  Not sure but unlikely, in the distribution.

  (The Mad Wizard)      |  (770) 925-8248   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/