[ale] Re: Mitsumi CDROM not working during intsall

David Graham graham at cs.odu.edu
Mon Mar 11 06:43:32 EST 1996

IRQ 15 and 0x170 are for the 2nd IDE channel (hdc/hdd).

If your CD is "slave to the Hard Drive, 0x170, IRQ 15", that
implies it is on /dev/hdd.  Unless you have maybe 3 HDs in
addition, I think the CD is on /dev/hdb instead.  The "ATAPI?"
boot message indicates that as well.

What kernel are you using?  I have a Mitsumi FX400.  Works
fine, but I had trouble getting it recognized until I got up
to 1.2.13 / 1.3.x kernels.

For a long time, I had to boot to DOS to initialize the CD,
then warm boot to linux.  Going to linux from a cold start
just wouldn't get the CD recognized.

      Backups?   We don' need no stinkin' backups!