[ale] Networking Woes

Omar Loggiodice ologgio at vrainn.com
Sat Mar 9 10:15:13 EST 1996

Christopher Fowler Writes :
:
:Does anybody know why a CAT-5 cable will work on a PC running
:TCP/IP software but does not work on my linux box ?  I had to
:run a 8 wire on my floor because the CAT-5 I ran above the ceiling
:will not work.  I've tried 2 working cables and still no good.
:Does linux work harder with the cables than PC TCP/IP ?
:
Hi Christopher,

   If the cable works with any software in the same PC and it doesn't work
with Linux, your problem -- most likely -- is not the cable. Especially if
you're using CAT5 cable. That cable is designed to work with fast ethernet
networks (100BaseX) that have 10 times the theoretical bandwith of the
commonplace 10MB/s ethernets today (I'm assuming you are not using a
fast ethernet adapter). BTW, if you are going to install a new network
make sure you install CAT5 cable, most of the networking standards in the
future will require CAT5 cable, and you'll be wasting your money if the
installer has to come back again to replace all the cable if you use a
lower grade. I use CAT5 for my home network also.

   Your problem, most likely lies in the software configuration under linux.
If you post more details (i.e. error messages you receive, manufacturer and
model of the network card, kernel version, output of netstat -rn, output of
ifconfig, etc..) an ALEr will be able to help you.

:Thanks,
:Christopher Fowler
:------------------------------------------------------------------------
:To contact me:  cfowler at www.topform.com
:Computer Software, INC. * 303 Research Drive * Norcross, GA 30092
:Phone: (770) 448-1484 * FAX: (770) 448-3949
:http://www.topform.com * http://www.topform.com/~cfowler
:
:

            /   __  __  __  - __  __ / - _  __  ologgio at vrainn.com
  Omar R.  /__ /_/ /_/ /_/ / /_/ /_/ / /_  /-_  CIS: 74040,1543
                  __/ __/
___C++/6_yrs____Virtual Reality/4_yrs____Vorl_____Linux(free)_______
Never forget either the "Big Picture" or the "Small Picture"...