[ale] RX-OVR on SLIP connections

Jeff Barber jeffb at sware.com
Fri Mar 1 12:49:42 EST 1996

Hi folks,

I use C-SLIP to connect to the office from home and have noticed that
netstat -i always claims to have almost as many RX-OVRs (receiver
overruns) as RX-OKs.  I recently installed a 16550 COM port (this
seemed to have no effect on the problem) and have a reasonably fast
box (486-66) with a decent amount of RAM (16M).  Has anyone else seen
this behavior?

I don't see any obvious effects from it -- i.e. broken connections,
timeouts, delays, etc. -- though it's hard to tell whether the
performance is as good as it should be (28.8 always seems s l o w
after using Ethernet all day at the office).  I do know that large
scale FTP downloads don't seem to get better than 2K or so per second,
which seems slow for a 28.8 modem, but again I don't have any easy way
to diagnose what's going on.  Any ideas?

-- Jeff (an ALE newbie)