[ale] ifconfig

Steven A. DuChene sad at sduchene.mindspring.com
Fri Jun 28 22:46:16 EDT 1996

> I'm having some problems trying to get my Slackware system hooked up to
> ethernet. I've got a 3c509b card, plug&play is disabled, and the card
> is set to use the TP interface. However, I cannot access the network.
>
> It seems that when I run ifconfig in my rc.inet1, as follows:
>
> /sbin/ifconfig eth0 ${IPADDR} netmask ${NETMASK} broadcast ${BROADCAST}
>
> I get the following errors when I boot up:
>
> SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
> SIOCSIFBRDADDR: No such device
> SIOCSIFNETMASK: No such device
> SIOCADDRT: Network is unreachable
> SIOCADDRT: Network is unreachable

	What messages do you get about the card at bootup? If your not getting
any card detection messages like IRQ, card hardware address, and etc, you
probably don't have the driver compiled into your kernel or you may have
some other driver autoprobing and the card is not being found. The easiest
way to look at this is to run dmesg and look at the output of that in case your
bootup messages are flying by too fast to see.

--
Steven A. DuChene   Linux Weenie!  http://www.mindspring.com/~sduchene

		isollae - loneliness in the face of beauty
		    -- Sean Russell, "World Without End"