[ale] Re: Respawning to fast

Richard Warner rick at jupiter.SJSU.EDU
Fri Jun 21 11:15:13 EDT 1996

On Thu, 20 Jun 1996, Kerr, James A. wrote:

> I'm running slackware 3.0 and kernel 2.0.0  ppp 2.2.0f
>

> Mgetty 0.9.8
>
> I get a msg in syslog that says:
>
> ID "s0" respawning to fast: disabled for 5 minutes
>
> How can I stop this?  When this happens I can't dial into my system.  Any
> ideas?
>
> Jim

What type of modem?  I found that with our bank of USR's that this
resulted from mgetty talking too fast while the modem responds too slow
in the initialization dialogue.  The fix was to add a couple of extra
delays before each 'send' part of the initialization dialogue in order to
give the USR time to respond properly to the previous command.

- rick warner -