[ale] Unstable Unstable Un%@#&stable

Steven A. DuChene sad at sduchene.mindspring.com
Wed Jun 19 01:27:21 EDT 1996

Andy wrote:
> ok guys here we go.  After finally getting the PPP to work, (real happy)
> I decided to get Netscape 2.02. Well now I have more fixing to do.
> Seems like I spend more time fixing something than using it. :(  When I
> run nescape for anywhere between 5 minutes to 1 hour It hangs and takes
> the whole system with it (or the X-Server anyway.) I get a
>  Kernel Panic
>  swapper: not syncing
>  Stack overflow.
>
> Then I bite my tongue and cold boot. Then I have to go cleanup inodes
> all over the place.
>
> I neve had any kinda problem like this before till I started using
> netscape and ppp.
>
> anyone know what could be causing this?
> Also is there a way to make X-windows a little more fault tolerant. ie
> when a program crashes than not take the server with it like Microsoft
> Windows 3.1 does. I hate to say it but 95 doesn't crash when a program
> crashes. There must be something I am not doing correctly why the server
> crashes with the app.

	I have a few suggestions and hints. First as you probably know when
this happens your machine most likely has not hung but the Xserver has died
and left your virtual consoles inaccessible. The trick is to either reboot
the system sanely or somehow get back to a point where you can kill the
Xserver.
	The first can be accomplished with something call (I think) the
joystick daemon. It is a daemon you can run and it lets you execute different
commands like reboot by pressing a combination of buttons on your joystick.
This is perfect for cleanly rebooting your system when the Xserver has hung
since the keyboard and the mouse are tied up by the Xserver but not your
joystick.
	The second method of getting back into your system involves accessing
it via a serial port or telneting into it over a network. Once your in you
can try killing off the Xserver or just rebooting the system.

	Next as to the cause of you problem, I don't remember what kind of
video card you have but I would advise upgrading the latest and greatest
version of the Xserver for that card. I believe XFree86 has a 3.1.2e beta
version available from their ftp site.

	I would also try to isolate the cause of the problem by using netscape
locally on your system without having ppp going. You can either snag a group of
pages or use something like the html versions of the HOWTOs and Installation &
Getting Started Guide that are on the Infomagic CD set.

--
Steven A. DuChene   Linux Weenie!  http://www.mindspring.com/~sduchene

		isollae - loneliness in the face of beauty
		    -- Sean Russell, "World Without End"