[ale] Kernel 2.0 no go ][

Steven A. Duchene sad at hpuerca.atl.hp.com
Mon Jun 17 16:08:49 EDT 1996

> charlie Writes :
> :
> :  I too am having kernel problems with the 2.0 version, but mine occurs
> :when I try to do a make zImage.  The error is something like this:
> :
> :gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-1.2.1/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strength-reduce -pipe -m486 -malign-loops=2 -malign-jumps=2 -malign-functions=2 -DCPU=586  -c -o init/main.o init/main.c
> :cc1: Invalid option `align-loops=2'
> :cc1: Invalid option `align-jumps=2'
> :cc1: Invalid option `align-functions=2'
> :make: *** [init/main.o] Error 1
> :
> :I have gcc 2.6.3 like the file said, but it didn't say anything about updating
> :anything else.  I'm sure it has to do with something that isn't updated
> :so does anyone know exactly or (somewhat exactly) what I need in order to
> :"run" the kernel.

Omar replied:
> The -malign* command-line options are used for pentium-specific optimisation.
> gcc 2.6.3 doesn't support those options. Upgrade your gcc. You probably need
> to upgrade libc, binutils and other binaries. Please read
> Documentation/changes.txt im the kernel sources after you upgrade.

	Another alternative is to compile the kernel for something less than
	the pentium architechture. This is how Geoffrey got his upgrade
	kernel to work prior to completely upgrading his system. I'm sure
	a kernel compiled for a 386 works but a 486 kernel may compile cleanly
	on a gcc-2.6.3 system also.

--
Steve DuChene              sad at hpuerca.atl.hp.com               1-800-633-3600

	       The HP North American Response Center, Atlanta
		   X/Vue/xterminal/graphics support team
    		    I am an employee of Hewlett-Packard.