[ale] Line in fvwmrc.

Jeff Barber jeffb at sware.com
Fri Jun 14 13:58:44 EDT 1996

nomad writes:

> I'm trying to put the following line in my fvwmrc...  It has no effect
> when I execute it...  Any ideas?
>

> Exec    "NoPPP"         exec "/sbin/ifconfig ppp0 down; /bin/killall
> pppd" &

You're telling fvwm (well, actually the shell) to exec a program called
"/sbin/ifconfig ppp0 down; /bin/killall pppd" -- it's not able to find
a file by that name to exec.

Probably you want something like this:

Exec    "NoPPP"      ( /sbin/ifconfig ppp0 down; exec /bin/killall pppd ) &

You don't want the exec on the first command; otherwise, there'll be
no process left to execute the second.  Also, you don't have to include
the parentheses, but if you don't, fvwm will get blocked until the
ifconfig finishes -- not a big deal in this case since ifconfig is
quick, but if it were another command...   Finally, you don't really
need the "exec" word in there at all; it's just telling the shell that
this is the last command in the sequence, and so there's no need to fork
before executing it.

-- Jeff