[Fwd: Re: [ale] motherboard recommendations?]

Eric eric at compgen.com
Thu Jul 11 09:41:26 EDT 1996

dread at atlcom.net writes:
 > No difference in performance with one CPU.  But for only $40 more
 > I would go with the dual bord with one CPU to start.  Then stick
 > another later.

I have read that the dual boards will not support dual cyrix chips.  The
smp instructions in a pentium are not in a cyrix chip.

 > >         Are Tyan boards any good?
 >
 > Tyan boards are very good, fast, and relaible but among these
 > elite higher performance boards Super Micro is faster.
 > I have had much better luck with Tyan than Intel boards and they
 > benchmark faster than Intel with the same setup.

The tyan board is fast, but the bios that comes w/ it (Award) doesn't
support an NCR 53c810 PCI scsi chip. I imagine you might have problems
w/ other PCI boards as well.  You can upgrade to shareware MR bios.

 > >         What's the deal with the Cyrix vs Intel CPU speeds? e.g.
 > >         the ads imply that the Cyrix 100 == Intel 120. Why didn't
 > >         Cyrix number theirs the same?
 > >
 > > --Tucker
 >
 > The Cyrix 6x86 is way faster than the Pentium at the same clock speed.
 > CX120Mhz(P150+) runs a little faster than Pentum 150Mhz,

For comparision, this setup compiled my 2.0 kernel in 9 minutes.

-Eric.