[ale] .profile doesn't work

Steven A. Duchene sad at hpuerca.atl.hp.com
Fri Aug 23 17:03:12 EDT 1996

> I have a user whose .profile does not run when he logs in, mine works fine.  Any suggestions?
> Here is the .profile we are running
>
> echo Hello Dan

Is Dan logging in via X windows or is this in a telnet session across the
network or what? If it is X Windows, you do realize that xterms may by
default not have the *loginShell resource set to true and thus don't run
the .profile (or .login as the case may be)?

--
Steve DuChene              sad at hpuerca.atl.hp.com               1-800-633-3600

	       The HP North American Response Center, Atlanta
		   X/Vue/xterminal/graphics support team
    		    I am an employee of Hewlett-Packard.