[ale] Comments on TCP/IP & Win95

Andrew Newton lfs at eskimo.com
Tue Aug 20 16:36:55 EDT 1996

Carl Sherrill wrote:

> Yo gentlemen! - be cool!

That's what Linux is all about.

> ........  therefore, I stand by
> my question ...."Has anyone successfully configured Win95 (& modem) to
> connect via telnet & TCP/IP into another LAN based Win95 machine?  The Win95
> technical reference books allude to such a possibility, but to date I've not
> been able to get it to work. Any ideas are appreciated.  Carl Sherrill,
> carlsh at rmii.com"

I've asked a few people in my office about this and they say it is possible
to get Win95 to answer the phone and make a TCP/IP connection of some sort.
They did mention it would be a dead-end connection because Win95 does not
route TCP/IP, you need WinNT for that.  Apparently this all setup in the Dial-up
adapter (go figure!).  And if you've gotten this far, great!

I believe your problem will be the telnet part.  Neither Win95 or WinNT come
with a telnetd equivalent, so there is nothing there to answer your telnet
requests.  You might could find a shareware one, or you could get an OS that
has that... say like Linux.

> If TCP/IP is "native" to Linux & if Linux is
> set-up to provide "local area networking" (say in lieu of big bad Novel)
> then, to me, the relevance & applicability to cross-platform networking is
> very relevant to the propigation of Linux!

By this measure, I should be able to reverse the logic flow and be able to
call Microsoft Tech Support about my Linux questions.  Sorry, this doesn't wash.

Andrew Newton
Andrew.Newton at automatedlogic.com
lfs at eskimo.com
Andrew Newton