[ale] Question about Mail

Matt McMillin imnlfn at atlanta.com
Wed Aug 7 13:22:18 EDT 1996

At home, I have a Linux machine running as a file and print server for a
Win95 machine and a Macintosh.  I also have Linux configured (using IP
masquerading) so that I can access the Internet from either non-Linux machine
through the Linux machine and a modem.

My wife and I each have an account with the same ISP.  Each account has a
static IP address associated with it.

Ideally, when we came home from work, we would be able to turn on one of the
non-Linux machines and read our e-mail, without having to initiate a session
with our ISP first.

Obviously, the most straightforward way of accomplishing this would be
somehow to register our home domain with our ISP so that our mail would
eventually find itself to my Linux machine.

However, is there any way of doing this without changing our current
configuration with our ISP?  That is, is there any way to get Linux to
establish a connection with the ISP during the day, pick up mail for each of
us, and then "forward" it to the accounts defined on our local network?

Actually, the more I describe this situation, the more impossible it sounds.
More specifically, the reverse route of sending mail from our local machines,
then "translating" the address information for general Internet consumption
sounds like it may be especially difficult.

If anyone has any comments, though, I would appreciate hearing them, if only
for the sake of continuing my education.

Thanks,
-M