[Ale-study] Testing testing... this thing on?

H P Ladds householdwords at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 09:09:50 EST 2017

Thanks, things have been silent here, and I wasn't sure that I was
signed-up correctly. So I "pinged" the list?

I'm uncertain of what I should be studying right now? I'm reading the
"Introduction to Linux
for Users and Administrators." Anyone know what will we cover in the next
class?

Also, I don't understand the saying that OS software is "Free as in speech,
not as in beer." Is beer free in Helsinki? Isn't open source software and
brewing beer more analogous than free speech? Beer is brewed: It has a
recipe, a brewing process and a finished product. Similarly, software is
compiled: It has code, a compiling process, and a finished binary.

What you do with that the recipe and the beer is up to your discretion. You
can give the beer away or charge for it. You can give the recipe away or
charge for it. People can change and alter your recipe... Etc. So too with
code and software.

Freedom of speech is an altogether different topic.

Cheers,
Preston