[Ale-study] First thoughts

Rich Faulkner rfaulkner at Tux86.org
Mon Dec 23 13:05:37 EST 2013

Forgive me as I am a "top" poster...

Thought I would chime in as I've been off-list from ALE for a while...

I have interest in completing Linux certs and have done some self-study
(mainly toward RHCSA) but am open to another avenue.

My background comes from graphics and programming design.  I don't
consider myself a programmer per-se; but do enjoy coding and have done a
fair amount of HTML in my time.  I do have great interest in learning C
and started my tech career in Technical Writing and Illustration.  From
there I moved into working with Unix systems at Sequent Computing
Systems (late 1980's) and then took a break for five years due to a move
to NC.

In 1995 I bought my first PC and re-learned everything I had forgotten
on DOS/Windows systems.  I did MCSE for NT4.0 and rather enjoyed that
OS.  In the late 1990's I started to dabble in Java and Linux and by
2000 I was taking classes at the Linux General Store (used to be near GA
Tech).  I had several failed attempts to migrate to *NIX (including
Corel Linux and Solaris); but in the end gave SuSE 10.1 a try with more
success.  This was short lived and eventually I found my way into Ubuntu
8.04 and beyond.  I was also big on PCLinux OS as it was good on a
variety of h/w platforms.

I became a daily driver in 2009 on 9.10 and eventually moved to Fedora
11.  After that back to Ubuntu 11.04 and now daily driver of 12.04 and
used to Unity (but also use Cairo a lot).  Running Virtualbox to do some
legacy Windows stuff and as a learning tool.  Do a lot of Red Hat at
work and have a new project that may require FreeBSD.

I've been mostly GUI but enjoy CLI as a powerful tool.  Don't own enough
Windows platforms to bother with and the ones we have are special
purpose machines with h/w that requires it.  Otherwise we're all Ubuntu
12.04 LTS and happy as a clam.  Just need to really dig in and learn CLI
so that it is second nature.  (Back to my roots in DOS and UNIX!)

I am a Systems Engineer with a local computer manufacturer and work on a
WIDE variety of systems; mostly industrial, medical and military systems
on an International basis.  My problems are usually very esoteric and
specialized toward end-customer needs in confidential projects.

Windows is of no interest to me anymore - only Linux and becoming more
focused and capable in being the "go-to" Linux guy on campus.

That's my sad little story and why I signed-up on the list - glad to see
it has life!

Cheers..........Rich in Lilburn