[Ale-study] First thoughts

Leam Hall leamhall at gmail.com
Mon Dec 23 07:16:23 EST 2013

On 12/23/2013 06:19 AM, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> On 12/22/2013 08:59 PM, Leam Hall wrote:
>> Posted on GitHub so we don't have to search through e-mails.
>>
>> https://github.com/LeamHall/LinuxStudyGroup
>
> as a background, I have been doing command-line UNIX since 1985. I
> worked for AT&T installing AT&T UNIX computers, and AT&T PC6300 8086 DOS
> PC's ( before windows) . I learned ED before I learned VI.
> I learned to administer UNIX computers from the command line,there were
> no menus. Printers, users, files, uucp, DNS... maintenance ( fixing bad
> sectors, backups...). I know 5 or 6 VI commands really well:). I started
> running linux at home around 2003 with SuSe Version 9. I installed
> slackware at work, I think it was like version 2.14 or something, maybe
> around 2000, maybe 1999.
> All of my UNIX/Linux knowledge is seat-of-the-pants or AT&T courses, no
> certifications.. I do have an NT Administration certificate from about
> 1998 :) I don't have a real life need for linux certification, but I
> have installed it for people, and I certainly like to know MORE.

Paul,

You seem to be the perfect type to help new Linux Admins connect what is
with what was! While I like where Linux is now there's a part of me that
thinks SAs need more than just "click a few buttons and you have a cloud
server". I do want to push us into clouds, version control, and a few
other things, but a hands on experience with hardware is good.

Welcome aboard!

Leam

--
http://31challenge.net