Chris Ricker wrote:

> 

> On Wed, 29 Mar 2000, Wandered Inn wrote:

> 

> > Can someone tell me the purpose of System.map and map files?  I can only

> > find a few references to them in the howtos and kernel mail list

> > archive.

> 

> System.map is a table of all the symbols in the kernel.  As for its purpose,

> a few user-land programs (mainly stuff from the procps suite) use it, and if

> you get a kernel Oops you use it to figure out where the Oops occurred....

Thanks, so it's not necessary for the kernel to run properly.  After

upgrading my kernel I happened to notice that I had a couple of copies

and wanted to insure that I had the right one, in the event it was

necessary.

> 

> later,

> chris

> 

> --

> Chris Ricker                                               ">kaboom@gatech.edu

>                                               ">chris.ricker@genetics.utah.edu

> 

> --

> To unsubscribe: mail ">majordomo@ale.org with "unsubscribe ale" in message body.


--
Until later: Geoffrey                ">esoteric@denali.atlnet.com
I'm afraid there will be more problems with W2K than there were with
Y2K...
--
To unsubscribe: mail ">majordomo@ale.org with "unsubscribe ale" in message body.