[ale] ***UNCHECKED*** Re: Linux kernel

DJPfulio at jdpfu.com DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Thu Nov 16 10:51:35 EST 2023

On 11/16/23 07:43, Jon "maddog" Hall via Ale wrote:

> I will say that comments DID have a real impact when compilers were
> reading in source code on paper tape on an ASR-33 Teletype, but that
> was the last time I even considered the issue oft compilation time
> being slowed down by comments.

I worked in a place where there were 3 comments for every line of code AND incorrect comments were considered a minor bug during formal code reviews (at least 4 people reviewed every line of code there) and sometimes 20+ people, depending on the subsystem and complexity.  Remember walking into a review meeting with over 20 people for my code. Fortunately, as the programmer, I wasn't talking.  A 3rd person would do the line-by-line explanation.

Additionally, people were required to turn in their written review sheets BEFORE the meeting started as a way to ensure they didn't show up unprepared.  Most of the time, the code wasn't all that complex, but sometimes the code had to diverge vastly from the requirements to meet machine limitation issues. Those were lively reviews.

Humans get swayed by incorrect comments, but having correct comments are are not just restating the exact same thing that the code does **is** useful, especially for boundary condition statements.

For Long term programs - those with lifespans that last decades, maintenance and maintainability will cost more than the original creation, especially if non-trivial features are added.