[ale] I'm looking for a good shared hosting web host

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Sun Jul 16 02:20:11 EDT 2023

Wayne said on Sat, 15 Jul 2023 13:40:28 -0700

>FutureQuest.net webhost went poof during the night and is no longer
>with us after 23-years in service.
>
>My short list ended up being between InterServer.net and Pair.com .. I
>ended up going with the latter. Am curious what others might have
>done...
>
>Wayne

I've heard good things about Pair.com.

After reviewing about eight hosts, I settled on Opalstack, which seemed
to have all I need and had a great TOS. They were extremely helpful.
The thing about Opalstack is they have their own way of doing things,
where they work with "applications" that must be attached to a "domain"
and administered by a "user", where a web server is just another
application. I can see the value in this, because done this way you can
assemble your entire website like with Lego blocks. However, you need
to be knowedgeable of their ways of doing things, my current webhost
was just about to shut down, and after about ten questions from me,
being answered very courteously, I realized I hadn't the capabilities
to work with Opalstack.

A guy named Syeed Ali had recommended Shockhosting.Net, and was willing
to tell me his experiences with them, so I tried them next.
ShockHosting was your typical cpanel site. I asked about 6 questions,
experimented with my home directory via their provided SSH,
transferred the Troubleshooters.Com data to Shockhosting, asked a few
more questions, set up my email at Shockhosting, resolved some
remaining problems by asking more questions, and redirected
Troubleshooters.Com's URL to Shockhosting's nameservers.
Troubleshooters.Com was down less than 24 hours, and is fully
functional. All of Shockhosting's answers were courteous and
informative. I'd recommend them, and would like to thank Syeed Ali for
his help.

This message wouldn't be complete without a huge thank-you to my old
web host, Futurequest in Orlando, and my friend Kevin Korb, a
Futurequest employee who got me started with them. Futurequest had to
close their doors because of Orlando's skyrocketing rent crisis,
Orlando's destructive hurricanes (Irma in 2017, Ian and Nicole in
2022), and the Pandemic. They gave us adequate notice, which is much
better than most web hosts I've had in the past.

Futurequest kept Troubleshooters.Com fully functional for all the time
I was with them, at least 7 years. After one of Orlando's many
hurricanes damaged Futurequest's Orlando facility, Kevin Korb drove in
the wind and rain to the Futurequest facility to repair their hardware
so all their customers would remain operational.

Once again, thanks for all your recommendations.

SteveT

Steve Litt