[ale] I'm looking for a good shared hosting web host

Solomon Peachy pizza at shaftnet.org
Mon Jul 3 08:42:47 EDT 2023

On Mon, Jul 03, 2023 at 07:21:33AM -0400, Steve Litt via Ale wrote:
> If anyone knows of any good web hosts, please let me know.

"Web host" as opposed to a "hosted server"?

I don't know anything about what's out there with web hosting these
days, but given the complexity of what you need, you're probably better
off with a more complete server so you can have the exact software stack
you want.

After FOSSHost completely imploded, I moved rockbox.org onto on a VPS
hosted in OVHCloud's Hillsboro, Oregon facility.

(I'd prefer to still be hosting it myself still but 13/1.25 rural DSL
 just wasn't going to cut it. I got _really_ spoiled by municipal
 fiber...)

I'm paying under $40/mo for 8vCPUs, 16G of RAM, 250GB of SSD-backed
storage, unmetered gigabit traffic, and choice of OS. It's overkill in
every aspect but RAM, but they offer a pretty wide range of capabilities
in both virtual and dedicated servers.

From what you've said, even their cheapest offering is probably
sufficient; $4.20/mo (hah!) that'll get you 1vCPU, 2GB RAM, 20GB of
space, and an unmetered 100Mbps feed.

While it's more of an administrative burden than a pure web host, I
don't know you're going to find what you want any other way these days..

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy			      pizza at shaftnet dot org (email&xmpp)
                                      @pizza:shaftnet dot org   (matrix)