[ale] Maddog’s take on recent Red Hat source distribution changes

Scott McBrien smcbrien at gmail.com
Sun Aug 20 09:15:45 EDT 2023

Your linked blog is from 2006, and is from someone who has been long gone from Red Hat (he left in 2014).

Hi, I’m Scott, and I’ve worked at Red Hat since 2001.  Currently, I manage a small team of technical contributors in RHEL focused on making public facing technical product content like the Into the Terminal YouTube show (and generally managing the RHEL YouTube channel), lab.redhat.com hands on labs, and product roadmap and workshop content for our technical field employees to use.

The Free Software Conservancy “analysis” of the agreements is that they don’t violate the GPL. I used “s because that was after a couple of pages of Bradley Kuhn complaining about Red Hat and the agreements, until finally saying that he thinks it complies, but is unhappy about it.

The GPL doesn’t guarantee future access.  It says when you have software distributed to you, you’re entitled to source code for it.  The RH Enterprise Agreement does not affect the GPL or the rights granted within it, but instead future interactions and access to binaries that have not yet been distributed, and are therefore not yet subject to the terms of the GPL.

I disagree with your assessment of systemd.  I will say to start, that systemd is the king of something we call “pizzas we didn’t order.”  Meaning, no one was asking for systemd, and yet, an engineering team at Red Hat made it.  When it was added into RHEL7, it was extremely disruptive and many people, including myself, hated it.  I mean, no one had ever asked for it, why was it being subjected on us??!!??  For the first couple of years of RHEL7, it was worked on, including a rebase in 7.2 which, if you’re unfamiliar with RHEL package management, rebasing a package is kind of a big deal.  All that said, looking at systemd today, it was the right call.  It is a far superior solution to what we had previously.  Is it perfect?  No.  But then neither were init scripts.

Having worked for Red Hat Training at the time, we inherited the RHEL Engineering decisions the same way as everyone else.  There was a single course made that focused on differences between 6 and 7 which included systemd content, but a similar course had been made in the past and again for 7 to 9. Because some customers like the ‘updater’ course to get a focused training on changes to the distro.  Personally, I don’t like them as they’re a lot of effort to make and have about a 1 year lifespan before no one enrolls in it.  Red Hat Training and Consulting get access to early development content on which to base their work, but at that point, the engineering decisions have already been made for the release as the developers have assembled it enough to provide early access to other teams.  Trust me when I say no one at Red Hat is making product engineering decisions in an attempt to make larger training and consulting sales.

Red Hat doesn’t advertise to other distros.  Trust me, there is enough work to do within our own ecosystem that we don’t go meddling in other people’s linuxes.  Which means Debian, Ubuntu, Suse, and all the rest, picked up systemd because they also saw it as a significant improvement in what they had been doing previously.  You see that today with the cockpit project, trust me, Stef isn’t out there stumping for other Linix distros to include it, he’s got lots of other things to do at Red Hat…  They include Red Hat developed software because it’s better than what they have, and is one of the key differentiators in the open source software community.

If everyone kept their enhancements proprietary, then what you’d end up with is minimal or near zero investment in open source.  You’d see only enough work being done to keep the open source bits the proprietary software needs updated to further the proprietary software sales by a company.  Oracle does this today with MySQL.  They have an open core, but commercial MySQL includes a ton of features not in the open source version because they’re based on closed source.  There are a fair number of companies that operate open source like this because it provides an easy differentiation to the customer on what they are buying when they buy the product. They’re getting all that secret sauce held back by the company that people who may use the open source components of the software can’t get without paying. But if the secret sauce is what is worth money to the company, where do you think they are spending their development dollars and effort?  Sure, they’ll also work on the open source component, but only as much as is required to keep their proprietary stuff enabled.

“Freeloader” was a term used by The Register when publishing a story about the change of public availability of debranded RHEL sourcecode used for downstream builds.  “In fact, what it was really doing was cutting off those that might be seen, from its perspective, as a bunch of freeloaders.”
  https://www.theregister.com/AMP/2023/06/23/red_hat_centos_move/
These are The Register author’s words, not Red Hat’s.

-STM