More Netscape Woes

Wes McRae beetle at glc97.residence.gatech.edu
Fri Feb 16 21:45:57 EST 1996

To all who have helped with my Netscape question (netscape hangs sys-
tem), thank you.  Fortunately or un-, memory does not seem to be the
problem.  Also, I was wrong about the system crashing:  netscape takes
over for about half an hour (ah, the joys of a 386sx20MHz) before giving
up and relinquishing control.

Memory is not my problem with Netscape 2.0:  I have 8M with 16M virtual,
and top shows me as only getting 3 or 4 megabytes into my swap when
starting Netscape.  When starting, I get a string of errors along the
lines of:
"Warning: cannot allocate colormap entry: "#0099FF"

There are several of these color code warnings, as well as one com-
plaining that it cannot allocate background colors.  It goes through
this sequence of errors twice, then gives a Bus Error and terminates.

My current resolution is either 320x200, 256 color or 640x480, 16 color.
I don't remember offhand.  Is netscape just not happy with my vintage
Cirrus card?  I.e., is it refusing to make an appearance dressed in
shabby clothes, so to speak?

Any help is appreciated.  Comments of "Get a real video card!" are okay
if you include a recommendation of the type of card, and approximate
cost.

thanks----
wes