[Ale-study] Testing testing... this thing on?

Scott M. Jones scott at aprr.org
Thu Jan 26 11:52:14 EST 2017

The word "free" means two different things in the open source sense.  It
means freedom or liberty, but can also mean price of $0.00.

"Free as in speech" refers to freedom or liberty.

"Free as in beer" refers to price of $0.00 for the actual product
(regardless of recipe).

The open source community is often complaining about too much emphasis
on price of $0.00 and not enough emphasis on freedom or liberty.  Having
source code available for the entire operating system, and a
modification-friendly license, means that you can customize anything any
way that you want to, and this is really the power of open source,
regardless of what you paid or didn't pay for it.

Linux is licensed under the GNU General Public License (GPL) which comes
from the "Free Software Foundation", and the name "Free" in this
foundation definitely refers to freedom and/or liberty rather than price
of the product.  Look up the history of Richard Stallman for more
information on this topic.  (Also the term "copyleft" is sometimes used
ironically to indicate that the GPL doesn't technically provide 100%
freedom, not as much as public domain licensing would.)

Hope this helps.

-Scott

P.S. It appears JD is referring to the document 101-LPIC-1-admin-en.pdf
which can be downloaded via this command in your local copy of Linux
that you should now have running for class:

wget -rnd http://lpi.jdpfu.com/

The getent command appears on page 32 of this document.  So you should
read up through page 32.