[Ale-study] Linux labs and tutorials

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Sun Jul 10 12:18:35 EDT 2016

On 07/10/2016 10:47 AM, LaQuil Bowman wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am new to the group and fairly new to Linux. I know basics of
> Linux, but want to develop professional level skills with it. Does
> anyone have any lab material or tutorials they would suggest looking
> into?

Depends on your specific goals.  "New" doesn't really say much.
http://blog.jdpfu.com/2014/12/28/learning-linux

It is ok to not really know what the goals should be. The Linux
ecosystem is huge, so there are many different paths depending on what
your final goal is.  Cube-slave Admin skills are very different from
small startup admin skills and both of those are very different from
scripting language skills, webapp skills, embedded development, Android,
SOC.  All of these add on virtualization, containers, cloud deployments,
devops, ....

Last year, I mentored someone for about 4 months. He had taken Linux
Admin classes in college, but learned OTJ that was just the beginning of
the knowledge needed. Changes in his life altered his goals and we
stopped communicating.

So ... what are your goals?  If you have 1, 3, 5, 10, 15, 25 yr goals
and will share those, I think you'll get the best advice. Of course,
life will lead you in different directions and none of us knows what
next week will bring, having a direction will make for the most
efficient use of your efforts.

Also, if you can, come out to one of the many ALE meetings we have. Talk
with folks at all stages of their careers. Learn about different
employers, jobs, positions, roles.  I'm at the Sunday meetings - like
TODAY at 3pm. Helpful folks will be at all the meetings, so you can get
different opinions. Nobody knows it all.

Thanks for reaching out!  Hope to see follow up from others and you at
one of the "meat" ups.